When I saw Janine’s post, over on the Scrapaholix blog, about the February kit, I decided I would quite like to try it out. But I knew I wouldn’t need all of that kit for a layout. There’s just so much value in it.
So I decided to try and see how many projects I could use the kit as inspiration for.
Clearly, I had to start with a layout. Well... it IS the Scrapaholix monthly kit after all.
My inspiration for this one comes from the title of this collection of papers by Maja Design, which is “Miles Apart”.
Makes me quite sad as it reminds me of lockdown and missing my steampunk community so very much. And some of my closer friends within that community in particular.
The photo here actually has four people in it to my mind. The friend taking the photograph is one of our closest steampunk friends as well as the friend in the photo.
It is a photo of my husband and I, and our friend Rory (who just happens to be the father of my snow moon queen from a previous layout). Brian took the photo so the photo inspires memories of a real fun day we had together while visiting the costume business of another friend.
The cut off strip along the bottom of the papers usually has the product details on it and very often, I have found those titles etc to be really useful for adding words to my layouts. This is no exception as we are indeed, being kept miles apart from our family and friends at the moment. So I have included some of them in my details as well as some of the patterned bits that could be found on the reverse of the cut off strip.
For the layout, I used only part of two of the papers. The lighter one is cut off at the back too so I have some spare for my future projects using the kit.
I have added a few mixed media details to my layout. I love crackle textures and mediums and when combined with a lovely stencil it can be really effective... sadly I let it bleed through a bit as I was rushing and did not tape my stencil in place. Oops.
As this is featuring my steampunk life, I felt it right to use some of my “The Dusty Attic” cogs & gears as embellishments. As well as a few of their lovely paper flowers.
I have done a fair bit of ageing using distress stains, distress oxides etc and the paper distresser.
I used some of the text from the “a few words” sheet to make some of the background behind my photo. I stained it up with distresss ink first though.
Once my layout was finished, I backed it all on to the “Walnut Cream” 12x12 bit of bazzill card.
Now on to the next February monthly kit project... there is still loads of it to use.
Thanks for reading. If you ever have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.