Skip to content
Altered Book Post by VICKI PUNTON

Altered Book Post by VICKI PUNTON

Hi Guys,
I'm so happy to be able to share my first project for the Mad Scrapper Blog with you all today!
I like to pick up older books to alter and use as different kinds of art/journal books when I see them.  This one was from an antiques place we visit and has some funny golfing images and quotes that made me laugh when I had a quick flip through! Before altering the cover I've gone through with my ruler and craft knife and taken some of the pages out so that the spine doesn't become too bulky when I start to fill it.  I've kept them and will find other uses for them!
This is my first experience using the Finnabair Rust Effect Paste so I really wanted to go all in with it on this project to see how I liked it, how it worked with other supplies and how it reacted to the fabric cover of the book! I also had the really simple Botanical Ringlets chipboard piece in mind for this project too. I've used Mod Podge to glue down some scrap off cuts of twine and torn tissue paper to add a layer to the cover, all that extra texture! I love the little leaf shapes on the chipboard and added it to the side of the front cover so it hangs off slightly.  I used my big scissors to trim the overhang and have kept it for a future project! 
I have a box of old alphas that I keep for mix media projects like this.  I don't really use them on scrapbook layouts anymore but I find them perfect for this kind of thing.  It's all about extra layers and different areas of interest. I've added some trim from my scrap box and added two cute floral clusters.   I picked the flowers that were the closest shade to the rust paste colours so that I didn't have to add a lot of paint or paste to them.  I've added some adhesive pearls and rhinestones - It didn't really matter the colour of these because the rust paste did a fab job of covering them!
Once I was happy with where everything was and it was dry I began layering the rust paste on.  I started with thin layers of the darker colour and then slowly began to build it up, sometimes using my heat gun in between so they were on top of each other rather than blending.  I made sure that all the embellishments were covered and just kept adding to it with an old brush until I was happy.  I finished off adding some little bits with a gold and white paint pen to break up some of the darker colour. 
I really enjoy using the rust paste and have so many more ideas for next time I use it!
I'll leave a list of what I used below and I hope this inspires you to get messy with some mixed media too!
Thanks!
Previous article These Days Layout by LORNA SIMONS
Next article It's A Girl! by SUE CREASE

Comments

Vicki - August 26, 2021

Thanks so much Sue! I’m so happy to be here! I had to trust the process a bit with this one!

Sue - August 26, 2021

First off welcome! A great idea to give further use to once preloved books. When I saw the first (pink) photo I thought that was your finished book but then I saw the last photo. A great project. X

Leave a comment

* Required fields